Registration is closed until the weekend!
Find kits, finish supplies, guitars and amps in the RMF Store

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yamaha SC300T
05-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Yamaha SC300T
Not sure many are familiar w/ this model from the early 80's: the Yamaha SC300T. It's a sort of what you'd get if a Strat and a Mosrite had a baby. I modify mine HEAVILY. I chuck out the stock necks and replace them w/ Yamaha Pacifica PAC112 or PAC112L necks, which suit me better (narrow C-shaped profile w/ jumbo frets) than the stock items; I make my own pickguards and install whatever pickups I'm into at the moment (usually Rio Grande Muy Grande hums and singles, or Pacifica hums that I've modified). The guitars can be had for under $200, and often way cheaper (sometimes I can find the bodies alone). the necks I get by buying alone or w/ the pac112 guitar, which I strip down for parts.

The paint on three shown here is from Testor's (see my comments on the Robert Olson page). I use their acrylic lacquer (colors and clear), which hardens fast and doesn't need much sanding before polishing.

The lefty necks seen on a few here seem to make for a more interesting tone--super growly on the lower end.

These are cheap and fun to play.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: Yamaha SC300T
Here's a link to testors' site; I use the one-coat and wet look stuff.

http://www.testors.com/category/137167/O...t_Lacquers
05-15-2013, 01:07 PM
These are way cool! I was looking at your post and the Testor's website. The colors are great.

'67 Gibson ES-335TD
'71 National LP Bass
'87 Epiphone AJ18S-12
'93 Fender Redondo II
'99 Yamaha RBX-260-F Bass
'02 Epiphone Custom LP Bass
'04 Epiphone Custom Single Horn EB-O/3
Custom Violin Bass Project
'10 Olson Birds
'11 Westwind Flying V
'11 Westwind Spalted Maple 335SM
'12 Takamine Tsunami Disaster Relief Acoustic
'12 Olson Ollandoc Kit
'12 Westwind 335TL
'13 Westwind El Diablo
'14 Westwind 335-12
'14 Westwind 335-2P Bass
05-15-2013, 09:21 PM
neat looking guitars...How do you like that hipshot babygrand bridge?

Guitars
Unknown Strat copy -- Leser '335' double cutaway custom
Fernandes Strat -- Epiphone LP Ultra III
Ibanez EX170 -- Ibanez EX1700
Takamine EF-385 -- R.M. Olson Explorer Kit
Peavey T-60 -- Charvel DST-1

Amps
Egnater Tweaker 88
Fender Mustang V (head)

Cabs
Carvin Legacy 2 x 12
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2013, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2013 08:32 AM by drjimmy.)
(05-15-2013 09:21 PM)phantom Wrote:  neat looking guitars...How do you like that hipshot babygrand bridge?

I had to use the Hipshot as it was the only thing w/ a sufficiently low profile to fit the guitar. I was pleased with the tonal results, though: seems like the right downward pressure over the bridge, and, combined w/ the scale length (25.5") and the lefty headstock, results in a super-growly tone with snap and twang. The Hipshot locks down also, making it super-stable.

That particular body I acquired from some other guy who'd started it, but never finished: he'd filled the trem cavity already, and painted the body rough w/ the sonic blue. I sanded and clearcoated it (using the Testors, of course), getting beautiful results.

(05-15-2013 01:07 PM)muzikman Wrote:  These are way cool! I was looking at your post and the Testor's website. The colors are great.

I've done about six guitars, now, using Testors.

If there's a Hobby Lobby or Michael's hobby store in your area, you can check out the paint there (it's w/ the model cars). It runs about 6 bucks/3-oz. can: depending on the guitar, it might take three cans of color and 4-5 of clear (for a solidbody), or up to 10 3-oz. cans of clear for a thin hollowbody (as on my Olson Johnny A repro). Of course, you're limited to the colors Testors makes. Also, about one out of five cans "spits", or is a little too runny, so you need to be careful.

Attached File(s) Image(s)